So, I went to a summer institute to reenergize my knowledge concerning American History. The simple facts remain: many students do not recall the actual information regarding the historical facts. However, I did vividly recall the fact that a teacher must learn to teach with ‘passion’ in order for his student to actively listen and participate.
The lesson that I learned was not history, yet the fact that a teacher needs to develop a persona that emotionally ‘wows’ his students into a submissive trance. Meaning, I’m curious about what this teacher is going to ‘say’ or ‘do’ next. The anticipation of your presenter’s persona and characteristic causes a student to submit his mind and time to his teacher.
This summer, I was exposed to a professor who taught me that ‘passion’ to teach will convince a student to listen regardless of the topic or lesson.
So, how does a teacher amplify passion while teaching? From my personal observance, a teacher must:
· Have a stage presence, the willingness to act out of character for the audience
· Have a genuine love for job in order for student to believe this individual has something important to offer.
· Have an aurora that radiates positive vibes too the students.
· Have the ability to turn silly into fun.
· Have the ability to withdraw students from their protective shell and expose their inner thoughts.
· Have the ability to generate emotions from his or her students.
In closing, your subject-matter, lessons, and curriculum are void without an audience who is ‘intrigue’ to listen to you.
Hi Che! I, too, experiences a passionate teacher at the summer institute that I was at! It was amazing to witness what a little bit of enthusiasm can do to engage students. I've noticed this with my own class as well. When I am excited about a topic, they are too!
ReplyDeleteI love the list of teacher "must haves" that you have created. I agree with each one of them wholeheartedly. I feel that not only are we passionate about teaching, love to have fun with the kids, and are able to act in character, we are superb sales people. We need all of the minds that we encounter to "buy" what it is that we are conveying to them.
ReplyDeleteYour closing statement sums it all up nicely too!