Sunday, December 4, 2011

Can you link "current events" to past and teach them simultaneously?

After reading the authors prelude, tier-one, and its sub-objects, I believe its more challenging than the author comments; for example, in “tie- one,”  he comments on page 12  that “Building a personal and intimate connection to the past. . .” is “. . .one of the easier skills to teach and apply with students. . .”.

I simply disagree from my personal experience.  For instance, making personal connections or current event connections did not occur until I had a solid curricular understanding of the historical topic.  I originally struggled with researching, reading, and learning the historical standards well enough to accurately inform my students. As a beginning teacher, I focused on understanding the finer details of the history content by reading and finding more and more primary sources.

Ten years later, I can honest begin to compact my teaching and simultaneously teach “building a personal and intimate connection to the past.”  For example, I been teaching Thomas Jefferson and his Inaugural Address, Barbary Pirates, Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark Expedition, and War of 1812 for numerous years.

As a more seasoned teacher, I have learned to teach Thomas Jefferson as a past-President who became exposed and involved with “current events”during his time as President.  Thomas Jefferson like Barack Obama or any President must make critical choices regarding "current events" during their terms.  In each Presidents case, they both had to deal with piracy on the high seas.

In the past, Thomas Jefferson had to make a decision with American shipping industry being attack, kidnapped, and held for ransoms off the Northern Coast of Africa by Barbary Pirates.  Ships had to pass through the Strait of Gibraltar in order to trade with the Mediterranean countries.   Today, oil tankers and tourist using the Red Sea must past by the tip of Somalia, and Barack Obama is being exposed to a similar "current event" in regards to the Somalia Pirates.

Since the author believes the skill is “easier,” then I give my fellow teachers a challenge as I would my students.  What Constitutional power and authority does the President have regards to both events, and how should Thomas Jefferson and Barack Obama react to each event, past and present?  I would like to here your answers at January’s meeting.

Mr. Love

No comments:

Post a Comment